Cape Town Tour Guide Course information
We will make you a Culture Site Guide for Cape Town and the Western Cape
You will be a Western Cape Province Regional Guide
(LEVEL 4 SAQA ID: TGD/CulSGd/4/0031)
To qualify for this certificate of competence the prescribed unit standards must be achieved as well as the embedded knowledge of the various areas. The attained certificate will entitle you to guide in the geographical areas described below.
After the two-week course and the first written examination, you will qualify as a Culture Site Guide and will be able to guide in the first five sub regions as set out above. To be able to guide throughout the Western Cape Province you have to write the second examination.
Download the 2019 Prospectus HERE
In order to register with CATHSSETA you are required to supply the following information:
- Completed and signed application form, specifying the type of registration.
- Signed original of the Code of Conduct and Ethics
- Certified copy of a Training Certificate from the CATHSSETA accredited Training Provider/Assessor.
- Certified copy of your South African ID/passport/a Permanent Residence or a valid Work Permit allowing you to work as a Tourist Guide.
- Certified copies of all tourist guiding and related qualifications.
- A valid and certified First Aid Certificate (trainers should be registered with the Department of Labour).
- Certified copy of proof of language proficiency for each foreign language in which tours will be conducted (i.e. a letter from an authority stating that you can speak a language and/or that you are able to guide in a particular language).
Course Fee 2019 is only R 6,750.00
A deposit of R 3500.00 is required with your Registration.
The balance is due before the end of the course.
Assessments can only be done once the course fee is paid in full.
Introduction to tourist guiding; Overview of tourism industry, Communication,Guiding Techniques, Tourist Services.
Background to the Western Cape against the broad overall South African perspective, with reference to:
– South Africa’s Environment & People
– The periods of South African History
– The South African Economy
– South Africa’s Cultural Heritage;
– Fauna & Flora
– South Africa’s Government Institutions & Social Services
The Theory and the visiting points of:
– The Cape Metropole
– The Overberg
– The Breede River Valley
– The Winelands
– West Coast
– The Swartland & the Sandveld
Practical tour conducting. Five tours are done under the guidance of experienced tourist guides,
– Historic Cape Town Tour
– Winelands Tour
– Peninsula Tour
A further three tours are done theoretically on multimedia basis.
– Breede River Tour
– West Coast Tour(Crayfish Route)
– Overberg Tour (Whale Route)
Self- study Module
– The Great Karoo
– The Olifants River Valley
– The Garden Route
– The Little Karoo, Kannaland